March 17, 2005
Ways in which a papaya is like a bottle of perfume:
- They both come in vaguely oblong containers with a slim neck at one end.
- The containers are very attractive but the strange decorative shapes distract the buyer from a thorough evaluation of the contents.
- They have a distressing tendency to leak if not stored carefully.
- Sniffing the outside of either container isn't a good way to tell whether you will like the contents. If samples aren't provided, you're completely in the dark.
- Attempting to fully open the containers is a messy process that may not be worth it.
- The sickly taste is a good indicator that the contents of neither container should be ingested.
Totally gross. For the record, then: mangoes tasty, papayas untasty. Would anyone like an opened, half-empty bottle of perfume?
Posted by dianna at March 17, 2005 01:26 PM
I have repeatedly been told that papayas are good for easing an upset stomach, an assertion that i find really funny considering that they taste simultaneously sickly-sweet and kind of bitter.
Perhaps I have been going about it wrong. Perhaps the soothing effects are not achieved by eating the papaya, but by some other application I haven't thought of yet.
No, no, I think you mean papayas are good for causing an upset stomach. It makes more sense now, doesn't it?
in hawaii, kim's mom kept trying to make me eat papayas. she'd be all like, 'here michele try them with som lime juice on!' or 'how about salted?' and i'd be like, 'back, back, devil woman!' while making the sign to ward against evil, 'kupi!*'
nasty, nasty fruit.
i do however really love my papaya face scrub stuff.
*this 'kupi!' would make more sense if you also had watched 49 episodes of live action sailor moon.
I can only assume that you're right about that (the kupi thing). Having seen no episodes of live action Sailor Moon whatsoever, I will place my trust in your greater knowledge.
I like papaya in theory. It's a fun word. It's a nice color. I approve of tropical fruits generally; they're very exciting and fancy and provide a level of sweetness that I can usually only achieve with several cups of sugar. It's such a shame about the other taste, though.